Cement Mason Apprentice
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION
Responsible for learning while assisting journeymen masons in all facets of the trade to construct or repair floors, walls, partitions, and other structures.
EXPECTATIONS OF ALL TEAM MEMBERS
High quality, professional work product performed with initiative, productivity, a positive attitude and behavior. Team members should cooperate with others in a team environment, accept direction from supervisors, follow work rules and procedures, have punctual and consistent attendance, and accept constructive feedback.
Performance should meet or exceed the established standards, goals, and accountabilities of the position.
All team members are responsible for supporting an inclusive work environment along with affirmative action and employment related goals and requirements. Team members should align with and contribute to Morcon values and ethical standards.
What you will be doing
- KEY RESULT AREAS (ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS)
- Spread concrete to specified depth and workable consistency
- Mix cement
- Level, smooth, and shape surfaces of freshly poured concrete
- Finish concrete surfaces using power trowel, or wet and rub concrete with abrasive stone to create finish
- Remove rough or defective spots from concrete surfaces using power grinder or chisel and hammer
- Patch holes with fresh concrete or epoxy compound
- Mold expansion joints and edges
- Clean work area and restocking supplies and materials as necessary
- Effectively work and build relationships with those of diverse backgrounds and organizational levels
- All other duties as assigned
- KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Strong teamwork orientation
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety regulations, operation and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals
- Positive attitude and professional customer service skills
- Detail orientation
- Knowledge of equipment and their uses
- Understand and apply basic mathematical skills (adding, subtracting, division, & multiplication)
- Active listening skills and effective communication including an openness to diverse input and feedback
What you should have
- ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Frequency codes: (A) Always, (F) Frequently, (O) Occasionally, (N) Never
- See (naturally or corrected) A
- Hear (naturally or corrected) A
- Traverse construction site daily A
- Balance A
- Manual dexterity A
- Arm steadiness A
- WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Dirt A
- Heat F
- Excessive Noise F
- Dust A
- Grease/Oil O
- Vibration F
- Heights F
- Confined Spaces O
- Sitting O
- Standing A
- Walking A
- Crouching/Stooping F
- Kneeling/Squatting F
- Climbing O
- Repetitive hand/arm/leg movements A
- Lifting/Carrying F
- Up to 50lbs F
- 50lbs + O
- Pushing/Pulling F
- Up to 50lbs F
- 50lbs + O
- Reaching (high or low) F
- *Lifting, carrying, pushing, or pulling over 50 lbs will be done with assistance of another team member or equipment.
- This position description is not intended to be a comprehensive list of the duties and responsibilities of the position. The duties and responsibilities of this position may change without notice.
As a Minnesota based, full-service construction firm, in operation for almost 40 years, Morcon Construction offers a wide range of successful project experience serving both public and private customers. With a mission to be “The Most Trusted Construction Advisor” Morcon is focused on hiring talent that brings communication, authenticity and teamwork, allowing the firm to continue to Build with Integrity. Ethical and transparent business practices are at the core of Morcon Construction.
At Morcon we work to ensure a diverse and inclusive workplace where we can learn from each other. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a supportive place to work.